From:
Stefan Stangaciu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:45:21 +0100
    Hi all,

    The last message written by our common friend, Murray McGregor, was
excellent in giving many details and a general feeling that sugar feeding is
a good idea.

    I agree with you, dear Murray, in most of your points. However,

* I do not believe that the losses through intensive "industrial" beekeeping
are as you say "RARE"; many official general statistics showed, as I said,
dangerous losses (over 50% in some industrial beekeeping countries);

* I agree that the above losses are not connected ONLY to sugar feeding, but
to several factors; however, sugar feeding may be the last bad "drop", among
many others, don't you think so?

* I believe that having more bees after sugar feeding means NOT necessarily
that these bees are more resistant to various diseases; on the contrary...

    Do you know ANY scientifical study which shows that sugar feeding has
really improved the RESISTANCE towards varroa, tracheal mites, AFB a.s.o.?

* I'm almost 100% sure that a correct study done on two types of colonies
(sugar fed and non-sugar fed) will show that the sugar - fed ones have lower
resistance towards varroa and/or other diseases.

    It's just an hypothesis which may be interesting to verify in practice
by experts as you are.

    Best wishes to all of you,

Stefan.

PS I enjoy very much our discussions, even if sometimes our spirits seems to
go in "flames"...

    The winners should be our bees and not our "ego-s"...

    :-))