From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:03:12 -0400
> science and the belief in science is still a system of values (call it a belief system or world view and those words work equally as well.

As a member of the scientific profession, I must object. There are many scientific theories which rest on questionable evidence and require a degree of faith in the methodology. However, there is a vast body of scientific knowledge which reflects actual experience of the real world.

The principles of physics, chemistry, biology, etc. are not belief systems but verifiable explanations of real world phenomena. You can argue about this over drinks in a bar, but when someone punches you in the nose, it ceases to be a matter of belief what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object.

PLB