Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:53:55 EDT
Barry,
Why not introduce a Russian Queen to a group of bees WITH NO FOUNDATION OR
DRAWN COMB and see what size natural comb is made?

The Russian bee is Carniolan stock, I was told by Baton Rouge people.  As you
know, I switched from Italians to Carniolans 52 years ago (1948), and being a
scientist, I feel that I know Carniolans rather well.  The Carniolan is not
as easy to introduce as other races, particularly in those cases with less
than ideal conditions.

This is one of the reasons that I only introduce a new queen to nurse bees
only and never in the presence of forager age bees.

I am surely not questioning your thinking regarding cell size; but my guess
about
difficult introduction would be involved with genetics and bee behavior of
the race
rather than cell size.

Just my 2¢ worth.

George