From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:01:08 -0600
PB:
I have read at least a dozen papers on thymol so far and the effectiveness
seems to range from 50% to 98% mite kill.

I see the above as the best estimate of the effectiveness of any temperature
and humidity dependent product. Period! I will also say there are other
factors which come into play such as openings in the hive and placement in
the hive of the product.

SCREENED BOTTOM BOARDS AND TOP ENTRANCES CAUSE FORMIC ACID TREATMENTS IN
CANADA TO BE FAR LESS EFFECTIVE. See www.mitegone.com

Pb said:
. But if you have pollination contracts in April
having your hives at 2 comb strength instead of 8 could be a real problem.

Agreed!

I have never found myself with only two frames of brood in April needing 8
but I have seen bees come out of a cold Missouri winter and be on 4 frames
of brood & bees first of April. If the pollination requires 8 frames then
the only thing you can do is combine or add brood to bring each hive up to
the 6-8 frames needed.

In the above Peter B. situation you would need to combine four 2 frame hives
to make one 8  frame pollinator hive. Many may laugh but the above is done
by commercial beekeepers doing April pollination all the time.

Beekeepers which winter in  California, Texas and Florida  do not have the
above problem as they can get in their hives and stimulate hives a month
before needed to raise their own brood to meet the amount of brood needed.

Granted stored pollen, early fresh pollen, honey and a large number of
overwintered bees can change the Missouri April 1st. scenario (I have seen
Italian hives on very very rare occasions with 12 frames of brood & bees
coming out of a severe Missouri winter a few times). I had one hive last
year and one hive the year before with 12 frames of brood and bees on April
first.

 Every time I see a hive winter so great I wonder what the secret is as the
hive next to it ( 4 frames of brood & bees) was treated *exactly* the same
with the same type queen from the same queen breeder.

The differences between two hives treated EXACTLY the same but ending up
different has baffled beekeepers I am sure since the start of beekeeping!

One reason why I take most advertised testing with a grain of salt (except
of course for my own).

Bob

BEE-L subscribers are reminded to read and follow the
guidelines for posting, which are available online at:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm