From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:10:11 -0400
As new beekeepers, 2 years, 10 hives, we definitely recommend that you
extract.

It is time consuming, it makes a mess, it takes a lot of patience, there is
some pain involved (similar to tennis elbow).  But is more fun than taking
off the cover of a mean hive and finding the ladies in a good mood today.

Our first year we had the opportunity to buy a used hand powered extractor.
 We jumped at the chance.  Knew absolutely nothing about the process.  Read
some books, asked some questions.  Thought we would like to try it.  Our
try took us all day but did we learn!  The difference in color, just when
we were emptying the extractor into the bucket, there were layers of
different colors.

Personally, the extraction process reinforces the wonder of the bees.  To
hire it out seems similar to not reading the final chapter in a good
mystery.

You should try it, at least once.  The process may or may not be addictive,
but it definitely can be enlightening.  Do it now before you have been a
beekeeper for so long that you are tempted to forget why you were attracted
to the ladies in the first place.

Good Luck and see how much sweeter your honey tastes!