From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1993 10:15:30 EST
Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]] queries:

> I was wondering if I ought to be using some "prophylactic" treatment,
> just as a general precaution (against varroa).

I was going to reply back that I fail to see how condoms will protect
against varroa, (how will the bees fly with a condom on?), but given
the recent "barrage of garrbage" on this list, I'll refrain.

Actually, I asked Jane's question at a fall '92 meeting of my local
beekeeping association and the answer was, "Yes, a preventative
treatment would be a wise move."  Let me qualify this by noting that
other beekeeperss in my county had confirmed cases of varroa.
I now routinely use Apistan strips in late fall, after the final
terramycin treatment.

Incidently, I loved the bee-lore!  I'm also glad that our hive has
calmed down after the departure of our uninvited guests.  Merry
Christmas, everyone!