From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:55:22 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/00 10:53:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Has anybody tried using a detergent solution to kill fire ant hills?  Had
>  never thought of trying that.  They are bad, bad, bad in this area.

 Yes, I've been doing this for a long time.  I think it's hopeless to think
you will get rid of them, but I keep my work areas clear of them with
detergent.  I take a shovel or stick and scoop a depression in the center of
the hill. Then I squirt some dish detergent straight into it, followed by a
bucket of hot water with a cup or so more detergent.  I pour it slowly, to
make sure it enters as many cavities as possible.  I think the only reason it
does not kill all ants is that it doesn't reach every underground chamber.
But it seriously weakens the nest and makes the soil environment quite
inhospitable for awhile. Generally the second treatment a week later will
either finish them off or force them to move.  To me, this seems more
friendly to the environment, and it is definitely cheaper than a pesticide.
(Sorry, Paul C.)

   There is another detergent remedy running the rounds right now, which I
haven't tried yet. That is to put out pans of water with a couple drops of
lemon scented dish detergent in them. Folks are saying that they find
hundreds of dead mosquitoes in them. Whether they are attracted by the odor,
or simply using available water for egg laying is unknown.  Also, it remains
to be seen whether such traps can make an appreciable dent in the overall
mosquito population.

    I was recently reminded that dragonflies are mosquito preditors, and I
was enjoying watching them snatch mosquitoes from the air, also dancing on
the puddles, which they were keeping free of larvae.  Last week one night
they sprayed for mosquitoes in this neighborhood, and the dragonflies took a
far worse hit than the mosquitoes.  We had about fifty of them in the back
yard at any one time, and I've only seen a couple since.  Mosquitoes are
still around (in plentitude).  So now, I suppose we are on the treadmill of
more spraying for the rest of the season.

Dave Green       SC     USA
The Pollination Home Page:   http://pollinator.com