From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:18:32 EST
In a message dated 98-03-25 22:03:24 EST, [log in to unmask] (Kevin Murray)
writes:

<< One of the best and most difficult to obtain honey in Australia is a
 Victorian clover honey. I first tasted this light honey two years ago and
 was impressed by its delicate perfume that lingers on the tongue. I've been
 trying to find it again since, but without success.

 I noted during a recent visit to the US that the most common honey on the
 shelves was called 'clover'. I wonder if this marks a difference in the way
 bees are distributed, or simply a difference of naming convention between
 the two counties. >>

    Our supermarket "clover" around here is generic.  All of the light honeys,
mostly from the midwest, are termed clover for the sake of this large market.
Clover makes up a good portion of this, of course, as it is a common flower.
But I find the taste of the mix quite bland.

    A true, relatively pure clover has a delightful delicate tanginess that is
hard to describe. The best way to get this, is directly from a beekeeper in
the clover areas who promptly removes the supers before later honeys spoil the
taste. Purple loosestrife is one of these "taste spoilers," a plant which has
invaded northeastern USA, and blooms in August. It is a heavy yielder, so
beekeepers like it, but it is strictly bakery grade.

   To locate a good clover area, look for soils that are derived directly from
limestone bedrock, or areas where farmers lime the soil for agricultural
production. Clover will not yield well on soils that are not sweet. Nor will
it stand the heat of the deep south.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm