From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2011 16:48:09 -0800

> >This goes right to the heart of the neonic debate--which is actually more
>> environmentally benign--a spray of organophospate such as you used, or
>> targeted systemic treatment?
>
> > The subject of the discussion IS *chemicals IN our food*.  Not the
> environment!

Bob, food is a major part of the human interaction with our environment.
I'd like to clarify something here.  You have never heard me support foliar
use of neonicotinoids, nor injections.  My focus is solely on whether the
use of neonicotinoids as SEED TREATMENTS is better or worse than the
alternatives.

>  >The organophosphates are basically gone when surface sprayed after 77
> days...Few environmental issues when used according to label.

Mullin (2010) found chlorpyrifos (an organophosphate) in 63% of the wax
samples from beehives that he analyzed. They may appear to be "gone" to you,
but they are not gone as far as the bees are concerned!

He only found imidacloprid in 1% of the samples.  Which one is more "gone"?

Randy Oliver