From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:45:25 -0700
> This stands on the same tenet as 'more bees make more honey' when in fact
> it is more bee journeys that add up to make the crop and do not
> necessarily come from the largest colonies. I would expect pollination to
> be a similar situation.

True, and of course the understanding is usually, "all other things being
equal", unless specified.  There are exceptions to any rule.

In pollination, there are considerations besides performance, because
performance can be so hard to measure

Appearances are very important, so booming hives command the top price
because growers can see that difference.

Also splitting after the bloom is a consideration for making up losses, so
large populations are desirable.

I'll have to write about my experience at Bakersfield the other year.  I
have some great pictures.

> Welcome back by the way!

Thanks, Dave.  It's good to be back, I think.

allen
---
People keep asking about my hand hole cutter.  I finally wrote about it.
Read all about it at
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/cutter_build.htm