From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:58:24 -0400
> Peter, do you think Mites should be regulated? Would Marla?

Hi Mark
Of course, I can't speak for Marla Spivak. I doubt she would favor some sort of governmental edict regarding mites, though. I know I wouldn't want it. Government regulation of beekeeping has almost invariably been expensive, unfair, and ineffective. When varroa arrived in Hawaii, colonies were destroyed, and now varroa are widespread (they are not on all the islands, however).

There are effective controls for varroa available; the problem is getting people to use them. As a matter of fact, also speaking at WAS was Jim Doan of NY State. He told the story of taking his bees to Florida for the winter and instead of bringing them back to NY, he decided to leave them down there for the summer. He said they went to pull honey and the honey was there but the bees were gone. He also claimed to only treat for mites but once a year in January, with oxalic acid.

Both Dr. Spivak and I referenced Matthew Smart's thesis; he followed the operation of Zac Browning. "Varroa was actively and effectively controlled by the collaborating beekeeper; thus in this study was not an overall contributor to colony mortality." Browning controlled mites by "laying a shop towel soaked in ... (10% amitraz) solution over the top bars of the top box each spring and fall." They also administered Fumagilin and Tylan.

In other words, they did everything to keep the colonies disease free, whereas other beekeepers do little or nothing, and then complain about their losses. Regulations would do nothing much to change this, only beekeeper education will.

PLB