From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:16:52 -0700
>I am to blame for the final numbers, as I finally disregarded the specific

> gravities

Don't beat yourself up!  I forgot to mention that one must know if the
concentration was for a w:w or w:v basis, which the authors did not state.
However, US researchers typically use w:w, whereas European use w:v, which
can be really confusing.
For the 0.06% I assumed w:w.

>One more thing, the .06% was for each oil and we were discussing Thymol.
> The
> sg of thymol is probably different than oregano.

Thymol is a solid crystal at room temperature, so would be measured by
weight (or more accurately by mass).  Specific gravity would not come into
play.  Thyme oil is a liquid, so would typically be measured volumetrically,
so SG would be important.

> >Also, I believe there was no breakdown of the components of the Oregano
> oil,
> so we have no idea what the Thymol concentration was. As noted, it can be
> as
> little as 5% or a high as 50%.

This is an exellent point, but I thought that we were interested in the
carvacrol, which was the main component that actually showed up in the
larvae, pupae, and cocoons.

>   >"Yes, Randy recommends 2.5 ml
> oil in 5 lb of sugar + 2.5 qts (5 lbs) of water" soon will be the standard
> quote on Bee Source, even if you do not say a word.

The curse of the internet!  RANDY OLIVER IS NOT RECOMMENDING ANYTHING--he's
just checking the math!

Randy Oliver
Fresh back from making up nucs during a snowfall--changeable weather here in
the Sierra