From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 10:37:34 -0400
Several people have recently posted concerning use of inverted
containers for feeding sugar syrup.  Such containers all have the
terrible disadvantage that leakage may and usually does occur to some
extent, and if too much air rushes in upon inversion of the container, a
flood of syrup goes into the hive.  This is not good for the bees!

All newbees, as well as experienced beekeepers should pay attention
instead to the use of ziplock bags, which was extensively discussed here
some time ago.  I myself thought I knew everything about feeding, but
was very pleasantly surprised to see how well these bags work - and they
will never leak one drop.  (Of, course, they need to be securely zipped
up first.  Hopefully this is obvious.)  Hardly ever does a bee drown
using this technque, and there is never any wastage at all from syrup
going bad unseen in a pail.

I'm now just trying to find other uses for dozens of former pail
feeders.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA