From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:23:55 -0500
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If it is a question previously addressed here, then we need to educate
the questioner in the intricacies of how to query the archives for an
answer before posting the question to the group.

I agree, but I disagree with those that respond to a posted question by
saying ‘refer to the archives’ or ‘google it’ .  IF they take the time to
respond in the first place, IMO they should give a brief answer followed
by a ‘refer to the archives’ for further info, or keep their nose out of
it.

From my observation, I would say that over 90 percent of the topics
discussed here have been discussed before in one form or another on bee-
L.  Now wouldn’t it be boring if all those questions were simply answered
with ‘look in the archives’?  We would be reduced to posting abstracts if
this were the strict rule.  And I will say, that I have been seeing ALLOT
of REPEATS of abstracts posted on bee-L that are known to be already in
the archives, -which, could this be assumed to be neglect of proper use of
the archives, that they have posted repeat material?

>In fact, thinking about it, it might be a good idea to post a detailed
directive on how to use the archives once a month for all the new
membership that has come on-board since the last posting of the archive
directive.

That is a great idea!
Also, it would be good for beekeepers to get together and set up
beekeeping search engine that includes the ‘1000 best informative
beekeeping sites‘, as selected by a panel of experienced queen breeders,
commercial beekeepers,  bee scientists, organic beekeepers etc.
There is a function in Google to permit this:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse/
On a custom search engine such as this, you can be assured that the new
bee will find answers from quality informative sites that are recommended
by the best in the business.  To send a new bee out on their own into the
wild internet for their information, is IMO, dooming them to a high
instance of failure, due to the immense proportion of inferior information
out there.

Best Wishes,
Joe