From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:20:15 -0500
Greetings,
Several people have asserted that there are valuable enzymes in honey that are damaged or destroyed by heating. I do not dispute this, although I would point out that prolonged exposure to low heat (90F to 110F) can have the same effect as brief exposure to high heat (160F to 200F).

Honey is often heated to kill yeast that may cause it to ferment. It is seldom heated to the extent as say, milk, since the correct pasteurization process is not needed for honey at all. But no one has presented the reasons why we should be concerned about these enzymes.

Does anyone have any evidence, other than folk remedies, that these enzymes are important to human nutrition? I am not saying there is no evidence -- just that I haven't seen it. (It is most certainly a moot point whether or not to heat honey if it is going to be put into anything cooked --like cakes or bread.)

pb