From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:55:11 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Listening to a radio program today on WOR AM they discussed the Asian Long
> Horned Beetle and are using an injection of Imidacloprid to treat trees in
> the areas that have shown infestation in both NYC and Chicago.  Maples
> especially,so heads up. The project head is named Giddleman or something
> close to it in spelling and can be tracked down via the APHIS website
> www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/alb/alb.html    if this affects anyone or through Ralph
> Snodsmiths website WWW.Gardenhotline.com

For those who do not know it, and I doubt if there are any on this list,
Maples are one of the best and earliest sources of nectar for our bees
in Maine and I expect elsewhere. So if we start to see bee kills in
these areas, please contact your state inspector, if there is one, to
get samples of the bees. Problem with this is the delicate state of the
bees at this time of year. Cold enough to slow them down and the
Imidacloprid could be too effective and they never get back to the hive.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME