From:
"Stan G. Kain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 1994 22:42:05 -0400
I write freelance magazine articles, and often write about honey bees.  One of
my recent articles in "Bee Culture", called, "Bees & Bytes" has generated a
fair amount of email.  Probably since it dealt with obtaining information
about bees via computer.

I have just received a query from a gentleman, sent to the magazine editor,
Kim Flottum, via my email.  I shall forward the message to Kim, although he is
out of the office for most of the remainder of this month.  While I am quite
active with my honey bees, the query is completely out of my league.  Could
someone on BEE-L help this fellow out with his query?  I shall post it below:

I am a tomato greenhouse grower with a 30X96ft. greenhouse.  A local honeybee
operation suggested that you might be a good source of information for me.  My
goal is to nurture my own hive of bumblebees year-round for use in my
greenhouse.  My growing(flowering)season is from April-October.  During July,
the blossoms are picked off to terminate the fruit growth.  In August, the
house is shut down for sterilization.  The house is also shut down from
November to March.

Given these parameters, whould you think that maintaining a hive is possible
all year round?  Would I have to buy a new hive every year?   What would it
cost to start a hive for my house?

I have had no luck finding greenhouse growers who use bumble-bees in my area.
I have also exhausted searching the Massachusetts and RI Extension Service
libraries.  Any help or referrals would be appreciated.

Mike Lydon(Lydon Family Tomatoes) Tiverton RI
email: [log in to unmask]

If anyone could help Mike, I would be happy to forward the reply, if that
would be preferred.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stan G. Kain
P.O. Box 1599
Atascadero, CA 93423
Voice/FAX (805)462-1636