From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:44:15 -0400
I have had a lot of inquiries about homosote.  Let me be clear, I don't
personally use it but several commercial beekeepers in this area do use it.
I have bought several yards where homosote boards were used every year, and
where the next year's supply was stored.

Homosote is pressed paper.  AFAIK, it is only available in 4' x 8' sheets,
1/2 inch thick.  Beekeepers use it to absorb moisture from warm air coming
from the cluster.  It does work, there is absolutely no doubt about it.  If
you Google Homosote, you will find the principal objection to use by
homeowners it is't ability to absorb moisture...just what beekeepers want it
to do!

I only object to it because it is another piece of equipment, and my 3/8th
inch wedges do an equivilent job by letting the moisture leave the hive.

A 4' x 8' sheet is easily enough to cut boards for 12 hives.  Try it...you
may like it.

Lloyd