From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 06:17:42 -0500
Hello All,

http://www.sun-sentinal.com/news/loc...,3595607.story

On another list beekeepers point out the person was allergic and in further
tests some of the bees tested European ( I have not confirmed this with
Florida).

However I think this is a tragic situation for the mans family.

 A huge PR problem and  could place further restrictions on Florida
beekeeping in the area. The area is rural but an area in which many
beekeepers I am friends with winter bees.

The Kennedys from Georgia which had a load turned for a single dead small
hive beetle (after me watching the Florida inspection service do the Spam
test with no success and all hives cleaned and placed on new pallets to
avoid a border problem) winter in the Florida area of the incident.

Smart beekeepers realize trying to somehow place the blame on the person
stung in this case is not a sound plan. Kind of like saying the women raped
brought on the rape.

Public awareness (like Jerry Hayes is doing) and a plan to get bees quickly
removed (possibly with Florida State funding with a simple call to the
state) is the best solution. Florida being a tourist state will not let
stories of bee problems or shark attacks make front page news.

If the back hoe driver had been able to make a quick call to get the bees
removed then *if* he knew the bees were in the trailer the right person
could have removed before the demolition began. Problem solved.

Kind of like the program 1-800 Dig rite. The call before you dig program has
saved many lives.

bob