From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 23:20:54 -0400
>  Early in the season, all the varroa are in drone comb. Later, when the populations get higher, they get less choosy.
Are you sure Peter? How early is early?
I mean, at least my colonies starts out winter laying first a couple of
rounds of workers and only when pollen is well stablished start laying
drones (maybe middle to late spring).

Or do you do think that on those first rounds of workers, varroa does not reproduce?

Right, just as you took issue with my use of the word "south" you point to the abiguity of the term "early". While I meant early as in late spring, there is always something earlier. What I meant was that varroa numbers are low and not a problem until the varroa increase takes place, which usually coincides with the profusion of drone brood that comes in late spring, our May. By doing drone trapping, the levels can be maintained throughout the summer, but it all falls apart in August.

And, as I said, I don't this has anything to do with internal colony dynamics, but rather the influx of mites from other colonies. I don't know whether these other colonies are predominantly crashing hives owned by know-nothing beekeepers, or feral hives, or -- maybe varroa mites naturally enter a phoretic stage where they intentionally leave the colonies they are in, to find another host.

I think the conversation has focused far too much on the intricacies of in hive development, which can be nipped in the bud with mite control measures, and nobody seems to spend much effort on understanding the late summer invasion. On the other hand, I don't know how you would study it nor what you would do about it. Other than Bayer's "brilliant" idea of having the incoming bees pass through an entrance where they are dosed with miticides. Did that ever reach the market?

http://www.research.bayer.com/en/24-varroa-mite.pdfx

> Inspired by tick collars worn by dogs and cats. Only a closer look shows the immense benefits of this innovation. The plastic strip is coated in chemicals. When- ever a bee passes through the gate, it touches the edge. This transfers a mite poison (acaricide) to the bee and kills any mites it may be carrying. Bayer’s scientists thought back to an earlier project: the flea and tick collar SerestoTM for dogs and cats.

If you are still reading, want to guess what the active ingredient in Seresto is?

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Weight percent Components
10% Imidacloprid
40 - 70% Tradesecret