Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:51:22 -0400
> Please be clear that I fully understand that planting dust is a
> serious issue, and I am in no way trying to defend it.  My point is
> that it is only one pesticide issue of many.

I find it disturbing when one issue is being discussed to have someone
discount it by saying there is another larger issue or larger issues.

IMO, we will deal with these things one issue at a time.  Distraction,
redirection and red herrings are not constructive and i find them
disturbing.

This issue is a huge one and disastrous for those involved.  It is also
cut and dried -- and preventable. This is one that should be cleaned up
STAT, and has been in many cases.

Reports of continuing case are disturbing, just as hearing of cases of
polio are in this day when the solution is readily available.  This is a
social problem now, not a technical one AFAIK.

> Draw your own conclusions, but to me she appears to pull no punches
> when she finds toxic effects due to pesticides.

I am glad to hear that.  I have only herd her speak a time or two, but
from a beekeeper's perspective she seems far too comfortable with the
chemical interests and far too quick to generalize discount risks. I
realise that was years ago, and maybe in a dumbed-down talk for the
stupid beekeeper audience.

(I've attended talks by researchers that I expected to be brilliant and
found them to be like childrens' stories, only to attend another talk by
the same person later the same day and find the talk stimulating and
informative).

As you know yourself it is very easy to become co-opted by the producers
of the chemicals which kill our bees in the field.  Sitting at the table
with and being funded by such interests, as is often necessary, tests
one's ability to remain objective and the pull of funding and other
benefits of association are a constant tug to fall into orbit.

As beekeepers, we are often disturbed by the language and assumptions of
researchers who spend a lot of time in close proximity to these powerful
interests.

I am not questioning anyone's integrity, but I am questioning the will
to resist.