Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:43:44 -0400
>> If the bees are flying, that tells us that you can open the hive.

>But I would not open a hive if the temperature was below 16C (61F) - as we
>keep saying, all beekeeping is local.

And it depends on the season, the bees and the beekeeper.

I wouldn't hesitate to open a colony at the freezing point if the wind is
not blowing and the sun is out.  I wouldn't lay the frames around the hive
though or drop bees.  A quick in and out would be it for the most part.

Pros know when they can do this and when it would be pointless or harmful.
Opening hives can be like open-heart surgery or it can be a quick peek.

In this case, if the bees can maintain heat to go out and get cold dust as
individuals and return, they should be able to maintain cluster temperature
for a brief inspection as a group.

If in doubt, though, don't do it.

YMMV.