From:
John Keim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:50:28 -0600
Lloyd replied:

John asks why not just put a 1/8" screen on the bottom of the hive instead
of having a separate piece of equipment:
1. Would not be able to reverse hive bodies
2. Would have less flexibility in interchanging equipment

Otherwise, would work just fine.  However, I would use 3/8" mesh, instead of
1/4" for the entrance area.  I've never found a mouse that can get through
3/8" and bees go through 1/4" very slowly.

Hi Lloyd,

I already asked Blaine this, but see what you think....

NOW for something totally radical:

Could I just put down .375 hardware fabric for the hive body footprint in
the winter, which would allow the bees to come and go through the space of
the pallet (as long as I kept the snow and the weeds clear), then stagger
the hive bodies when I reverse in the spring (before the first major flow)?

i.e. my bottom 'board' would consist solely of a piece of .375 mesh hardware
fabric????

Thanks.

John Keim
Keim Apiaries