From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:46:57 +0100
Steve Noble wrote:

> There may be some people who think we can conquer viruses through
> breeding, but that
> would be delusional.  Viruses are changing and adapting at a much faster
> rate than we could ever keep up with through breeding.

Is this really so?  I am no expert, so I seek an answer from those who are.
We know that we can cure sacbrood in a colony by re-queening and I know that
TSBV had been virtually eliminated from S India in just over 10 years by
breeding from survivors after the disastrous outbreak in the early 1990s.
We also know that some humans never seem to suffer from the common cold or
influenza.  Does this not show that breeding can be another useful tool for
fighting viruses spread by varroa, or am I missing something?
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/