From:
George W Imirie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:45:41 EST
I really don't want to post this, but in defense of myself I must.
Garry Libbee asked could all parts of a hive be irradiated to kill AFB spores.
I replied: " Irradiation was like a chest x-ray, no heat was involved" .
Aaron Morris replied stating that I was wrong, because radiation would make
honey BOIL.  Nothing could me further from the truth!  Gamma radiation, unlike
a micro-wave oven, does NOT thermally heat anything.
As I previously said, irradiation service places have different rules because
of cleanliness, size, weight restrictions, etc., but the raise in thermal
temperature is not considered because there is NO heat involved.
Again repeating, I hope radiation is the 21st century tool that all will use
to kill AFB spores in our bee equipment.
George Imirie, retired atomic nuclear physicist, Manhattan Project 1943-58
Beekeeper since 1933, hampered by strokes but still teaching beekeeping FREE