From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:02:46 -0500
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:36:22 -0600, Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think rather that since glass is expensive and creamed honey is not
>transparent at all that choosing a plastic container instead of glass is
>more a choice of economics.

Plastic says "Cheap, Cheap Cheap" and while may be less expensive then glass does nothing to
distinguish a higher quality, local product from a mass produced , cooked,  blended and bland
product from a big packer.

Of course if you are just a hobbyist and not competing on a grocery shelf you would not
appreciate this distinction and using plastic might make more sense for home sales or give away.

In reference to your analogy of milk in a traditional, glass, returnable container having the same
milk but costing twice as much......, here in Mn we have several milk producers who are doing the
same, but its milk from a grass fed cow without BHT,  non-homgenized with the cream on top......
and guess what .......it has more flavor and substance then the mass produced watered down
Kemps milk.

Scott I'm not sure you have a good understanding of how the natural & organic food segment of
food production & marketing is different then the mass produced items you find at the big box or
IGA type stores.

In general most smaller producers take the extra steps to insure a unique quality product with full
flavor and because of the "economics" of being a small producer find that a nice package (i.e.
glass) while incrementally more expensive allows them to price their product at a substantial
margin over the mass produced,  comparitive item they are competing against.

Trying to compete on a grocery shelf with a big packer and doing it on price alone IMO is a losing
proposition. The packers have 60 cent honey from China and an automated line to fill and label in
addition they have the distirbution system the small guy does not.