From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:27:55 -0700
> >I suggest that ALL OF YOU who sell bees demand that your purchasers show
> proof that they have attended a beginning beekeeper's training class, that
> they have obtained a mentor, and that they report to you on how their
> package/nuc performed.  It would be good for your business in the long run,
> and good for all of the rest of us beekeepers too.

The package producers are cutting a fat hog these days due to the demand by
hobbyists.  And do you REALLY think that the sellers are going to turn down
someone wishing to purchase their product due to lack of training?  That's
not how business works.

My sons and I personally agonize about sending bees off to certain death.
But how do you convince someone who KNOWS that they are going to save the
bees that they don't know what they are doing?  So we tell them to treat
for mites and offer classes.  Some of them are our best customers,
returning year after year.  Once they figure it out (if they don't give up
first) they are no longer a customer, they are then a competitor for
resources.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA