From:
Adam Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:51:22 -0400
Randy,  I  for one do hope you continue to participate.  I have been thoroughly enjoying these discussions minus the personal attacks.  A province-wide imposition of IPM for seed coatings is being phased in here this season and it will be very interesting to see what the results are over the next 5 years.

I still think that canola is the wrong crop to be using for these experiments.  There is so much anecdotal evidence(including my own personal) that neonic coated canola is not an issue that we should be focusing on the crops that do appear to be an issue.  Its been brought up several times that good nutrition helps with the detoxification.  The beekeepers of western Canada have certainly demonstrated that honeybees can thrive on canola pollen alone.  Perhaps the good nutrition is neutralizing any sub-lethal effects - at least for honeybees.

Have you conversed with Nuria Morfin at the University of Guelph? At EAS 2015 she presented some of her research demonstrating the reduced grooming behaviour and memory loss of honeybees exposed to sublethal doses of clothianidin.  From what I recall this was a lab study and not a field trial.

Adam Ritchie
Barrie, ON