From:
Doug Yanega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 10:56:41 -0600
Phil Torchio of the USDA Bee Lab in Logan, Utah, just called my attention
to the fact that Dr. Suzanne Batra in Beltsville has just advertised in the
American Bee Journal, offering to send people a ground-nesting solitary bee
she has brought in from Japan and reared in Beltsville, Anthophora pilipes.
We have discussed this some, as to what it might mean and what might be
done about it, and following Dr. Torchio's suggestion, I am posting this
message.
        Ostensibly, this is an honest attempt on Dr. Batra's part to bring
to this country bees which might be able to assist in pollination of
orchard crops, blueberries, etc. - but this sort of unrestricted
distribution is of dubious scientific, ethical, and legal nature. There are
a few native species of Anthophora (and related genera such as Habropoda)
in the eastern US, and *numerous* species in the west, which might be
potentially affected in an adverse manner by the introduction of this
non-native bee; there are small additional risks involved in the shipping
of these bees in soil from Maryland, as the soil itself is also obviously
not sterile.
        While there is no *guarantee* of either negative or positive
effects of the mass introduction of this bee species, it is my opinion (and
I know I'm not alone in this) that, given our limited knowledge (and some
past examples), the risks to our little-appreciated native bee fauna
outweigh the possible benefits. Dr. Batra, while clearly meaning well, has
also in the past introduced non-native bees in a similar manner,
specifically the leafcutter bee Osmia cornifrons, the results of which have
also apparently had negative side-effects. I do not intend this as a
personal attack, for Dr. Batra is a respected colleague, but I am concerned
that this sort of casual introduction is at best irresponsible. The history
of the past two centuries has seen dozens upon dozens of well-meaning
introductions gone awry all over the world, and we can perhaps avoid
another one here, if word gets out. Just because bees are not *pests* does
not mean that they cannot have negative impacts on other *bee* species.
        I would urge that anyone considering taking up her offer of free
bees decline the invitation, and politely spread the word among their
colleagues to do so if they hear of the offer. In essence, I am proposing a
boycott until and unless there is careful, controlled testing which
specifically addresses the *ecological* consequences of competition between
this bee and native Anthophora species (at the very least).
        Again, it is not *necessarily* an ecological disaster in the
making, but this introduction does NOT follow proper procedures of
quarantine and controlled testing. We simply do not know what impact these
bees may have on native pollinators (many of which *might* be capable of
performing the services for which A. pilipes is being advertised - we
haven't been able to *test* enough of them yet to know!), and in the
absence of carefully gathered data, this hasty decision might later prove
to be a regrettable one. I'd urge people to err on the side of caution.
Sincerely,

Doug Yanega      Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA     phone (217) 244-6817, fax (217) 333-4949