Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:42:06 EST
All

We're working on getting bee samples in from Chile and Uruguay for some
chemical and virus testing.

We've talked to APHIS, samples have to be on liquid nitrogen or dry  ice.
Dry ice seems to be the easier logistic, and for dead insects, APHIS  will
allow us to receive shipments on dry ice.

In Montana, Fed Express is the most reliable carrier, but Fed Express
doesn't ship 'animals'.  We're still trying to get a decision from  them about
what a dead bee is.  APHIS just came back, from their  perspective, we must
label the samples as 'dead insects'.

APHIS suggested DHL, but DHL pulled out of MT.

I know that some Canadians have gotten LIVE bees from Chile.  We want  to
ship the dead bee samples from Santiago and Montevideo to Missoula, MT.

Anyone know of reliable shippers that have offices in these two cities, and
 that will accept and deliver 'dead bee samples' to Montana?  Anyone
getting  queens from these countries?  If so, which carriers do they use?  If I
can get a list of shippers known to handle bees (or insects for entomological
 collections), I can sort out which have delivery to Montana.

Thanks

Jerry