From:
Robert E Neely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:14:12 EDT
Hi Roy:

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 13:39:35 -0600 Roy Canaday <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>My first attempt at questions, of which we have several...
>   This is our second year of 'beekeeping'.  Lost first (only) hive
>last yr due to mites, oppossums, wax moths (translated =>
>ignorance)...
>started this year with two, each w/a 3 lb. package & queen.
>So far, looking fairly good w/2 deeps & 2 shallows about full on each,
>but I suspect some basic mistakes.
>1) re spacing of frames - the supers appear to be wide enough for
>   about 10 1/2 frames; should frames be evenly spread across super,
>or
>   should they be adjacent to each other w/empty space at one side?
>   We spaced 'em evenly & have trouble inspecting without damaging
>them.

1. There is a spacer available from DADANT SUPPLY for either 9 OR 10
frames. I run nine frames in my hives. This makes for easy inspections
with less chance of mashing the queen.
In the supers, the comb is usuall drawn out full which makes uncapping
easier with a knife.

>2) re wax moths - granted, we shouldn't have had to deal with them,
>but

2. By restricting the size of the entrance to 1 1/2" to 2" will make it
easier for the bees to defend the hive. After a month it may be increased
to 3" to 4". This also helps to prevent robbing while feeding sugar syrup
to a new hive.

>   would cedar top/bottom boards (frames?) reduce this nuisance?
>3) starting small, we have no extractor.  One of our books mentions
>that
>   NO upper entrance is provided if cut-comb honey is produced, with
>no
>   explanation why?  Looks like a long, crowded trip from the hive
>   entrance to the shallow supers.  Any thoughts?
>We have a few more questions, but will save them for later.  Thank you
>very much in advance for any insight or guidance. 73's to you HAMS,
>too.

3 .An upper entrance would invite pollen in the cut comb. (Yuck) Or
possibly brood if you are not using an excluder to keep the queen down.
I have never produced cut-comb honey. We did produce "Chunk Honey" at one
time. We just cut out a piece of comb honey approx. 2" wide and placed it
in a jar and filled it with honey. Replace the frame and it was quickly
rebuilt and filled.
The scrap honey was strained through cheeze cloth. (Put the honey in a
square of cloth draped in a large mixing bowl, gather up the corners and
twist and squeeze.) It also must be filtered and settled out to clear it
up.

Caution: Always leave at least one inch of comb at the top of the frame.
They will fill it in from there.

Bob Neely
Goose Creek, SC