Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1993 11:47:12 -0500
A recent post I wrote responding to an anonymous gentleman was somewhat
garbled. Please forgive me for the waste-of-bandwidth, and if you are
not interested in participating in this semi-flame war, please note I took
great care to be as complete as possible in my response, including a
citation. But nothing will be lost to the deaf if you delete this post now,

sincerely, bcp

--------------------------- resend of response post ------------------------

Dear Sir,

IT has come to my attention that you are comparing the recent discourse on
BEE-L to a USENETNEWS group linguistic-style.

I feel it only relevant to point out that Ms. Freeman's Colorful (snicker) use
New mail on node VIRGO from IN%"[log in to unmask]" (11:37:07)
of the English language is frighteningly symptomatic of what Christopher
Norris in _Uncritical Theory: Postmodernism, Intellectuals, and the Gulf War_
U Mass Press, 1992:

        "the liberal ironist ... who has followed Rorty in abandoning all
         those delusive truth-claims that were once thought to distinguish
         'philosophy' (or 'theory') from other, less demanding, fields of
         thought."

If you are not ready in the field of bee anatomy and the discussion thereof
to allow for non-delusive linguistic representations of reality such as my
cousin, Ms. Freeman/Madman, perhaps you should rethink bee anatomy in light
of the new scholarly paradigm which allows for such terms as "wymyn" and
"f***ing".

To compare her comments, a meta-commentary on the complexities of anatomy,
at it's most sociopsychologically basic frontier, to the USENET discourse
of an fictional alt.bizzare (or what-have-you) shows the same lack of dis-
crimination of an individual who would say USENET discourse is in some way
comparable to the Internet Relay Chat (or IRC), and this wild weilding of
Occam's razor, sir, most certainly misses the most scholarly and expressionist
values of Ms. Freeman's commentary (as outlined above).

Let us hope you are not so quick to dismiss the possibility of scientific
empathy for the object under study when you are dissecting the Apoidea
Hymenoptera.

Sincerely,
B. Clark Palmer
deconstucting the hive