Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:57:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
The lowest cost method is probably a 55-gallon drum on cinder blocks heated by a propane torch such as a 500K BTU weed flamer.  A drain welded into the barrel several inches above the bottom may come in handy.  (Do not try to put the drain too close to the bottom rim because the welding heat will damage the sealing material along the bottom of the barrel and it will eventually leak.)  Such a barrel will let you dip two deep hive bodies at once (nested).  Higher cost methods could involve welding up a larger kettle from sheet steel, perhaps even stainless.  More than two deep hive bodies can be done at once if done before assembly.  In that situation, I advise clamping the wood while it is cooling to avoid warping.

Respiratory protection is advisable on the chance that paraffin volatiles could condense inside your lungs and be difficult for your body's natural methods to remove.  (I got that advice from a cross country ski coach who uses a hot iron to apply wax to skis.)

It is not clear to me that the resin is either necessary or desirable.  Maybe someone has some evidence on that.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2