From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 08:04:57 -0400
Allen Dick's comments, including his statement that he never cut queen cells
while producing comb honey, were well thought out and informative....as
always.

While I was making my comments to the list (stating that every commercial
comb honey producer that I know uses the practice of cutting queen cells to
control swarming) I wondered about Allen's practices as for many years he
was the leading producer of comb honey in North America.  I wasn't aware of
his practices and didn't follow up as Allen has not been producing comb
honey in the recent past.  That said, Allen is one of our true observers of
bee behavior and a beekeeper par excellence and I greatly respect his views
and personally follow his advice.

One of the most important things that Allen said is "This question of cell
cutting may be a local thing too.  As we are learning, what works or is even
essential in one area may be
gratuitious or harmful in another.

Allen"

I also appreciated Allen's comments on the use of excluders...something I
have never mastered, and have often envied among those who make the practice
look so easy!

Lloyd

Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds(tm).  The finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com