Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:08:16 -0400

> An that is what I am writing about, although I am not certain about the
> coastal areas of Maine, and recommend getting local advice.  Our normally
> outspoken Maine beekeeper is, so far, silent.

Not sure who that is, but my guess is he or she agreed with you and took to
heart your injunction (otherwise known as a rant) to keep the entropy of the
BeeL down.

Couple of things. Way back when, we got one of those 55N posts and had to
reply that our average temp in Maine during the winter is more akin to
Sweden than England. The same latitude does not equate to equal
temperatures. Many places in the lower 48 are colder than many places in
Alaska. Even in Maine, it depends on if you are inland or not. In New
Hampshire, Mike wraps and I would also so far inland. Allen wraps and so
would I in Alberta. I am located on a tidal creek off the Kennebec river, so
have a great big heat sink right next to my bees. Plus they are open to the
south but shielded to the north by a pine forest. All beekeeping is local.

I think it was the Hive and Honey bee, but the key to winter survival in the
northern US is even temperatures around 28F, which seems counter intuitive
until you remember you want two things in the depth of winter- low or no
brood and little feeding so stores last.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine