Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:31:31 GMT
>>Some fly off worthlessly, and yet others simply stay tight in
cluster.  Why?

My bees were out collecting early pollen/nectar/water on nice days
only a couple of days before the snows came on Friday.  After the
snows, when the sun warmed up the hives, the bees were tempted to fly
out to continue foraging [I assume].  Since the hives are out in the
sun, the area in front of the hives must have felt warm and some bees
were coming out to check out the conditions...

In the past someone mentioned that the bees fly up to the sun and
that the sun's blinding reflection off of the snow causes them to fly
into the snow.  I'd say about 1/3 of the bees on the ground were on
their backs and some stronger ones on the snow were still trying
to 'fly into the snow.'

Waldemar