From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:57:58 -0600
Hello Dennis & All,
How many times have you and I visited the small cell topic?

I remember all the snake oil concoctions for varroa. Menthol cough drops to
control tracheal mites and in my opinion FGMO use has fallen by the wayside.

I think even succrocide and powdered sugaring the whole hive has had its
limitations so many have tried those and discarded ( at least in the
Midwestern beekeepers).

However the advocates of small cell have remained. Quiet on BEE-L due to the
flak they get would be my guess but on other lists( and on another list
Dennis & visit at times) there are many (not just a few) which swear by
small cell.

I noticed last night my name was all over one list saying how my first
attempt at small cell was not succesful. Yes but on such a small scale I
would hardly call my results a test. In short the bees made all size comb
all over the place. I never had a solid 4.9mm broodnest to test.

I was starting out testing the Russian bee ( article BC) and varroa tolerant
bees ( article ABJ) at the time so made the dicision to go the other way.
Those from the other list reading please post not to hold up my primative
first project as proof small cell does not work.

This springs test will be a test. Even getting some packages to use.

My interest in small cell is mainly for mite control.

If small cell works for varroa control
then
I believe its got to due with the post capping time. The shorter post
capping time could give small cell an edge over a longer post capping time.

What do you think of my hypothesis of why the varroa control with small cell
Dennis?

Bob

--
believed to be clean.