From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:57:41 -0500
>well, there are 4 major stages of fermentation.  the first lasts about 12 hours and includes a large diversity of yeasts, molds, and bacteria.  there is some information that that the yeast fermentation (which happens mostly in this first 12 hours) is responsible for much of the nutritive transformation.

Interesting.  Thanks.

How do we know this?  Are there easily available references?

>the most important thing to keep in mind (i think), is that pollen that is collected by the bees and trapped has already started to ferment.

That is a separate matter from the point under examination.  Seeing as I see very little pollen in hives I inspect and it can disappear overnight, I am interested only in the freshest pollen eaten, for the sake of this discussion.

Bees do not apparently 'age' the pollen they eat when times are good, although they could/would if there were a huge benefit, I would think.  Moreover, many old beekeepers tend to regard frames of bee bread over a season old as useless at best and potentially harmful, especially if not covered with a honey cap.

>out of curiosity, anyone have a number of the average length of time between when a pollen forager leaves the hive and returns?

That is a good question.  I think it depends on  the distance to the source and the quality and quantity available there.

Honeybees don't usually spend much time before returning home, but following a bumblebee around requires a long attention span.  Longer than mine.