From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:35:02 -0700
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Blane White wrote:
> 2.  If they are too far from the folks in 1 above I tell them how to
use detergent solution to kill the nests if that is an option - it wo
======================

Has anyone actually used the detergent solution on _Vespula sp_.?  I had a
friend with a dead brood box that was taken over by yellowjackets so we
did not want to use standard pesticides and, since it was in his garden,
we could not wait for it to die out in the winter.  I remembered reading
about the detergent-water trick in one of the bee-journals and figured it
would work on all hymenoptera.

Well, I took my 3 gal. tank sprayer and mixed the detergent per
instructions, suited up & absolutely DRENCHED
the nest in the brood-box....3 times, in fact (9 gallons of solution).  I
was finally reduced to using the spray to knock down the wasps and then
stomping on them, as they would calmly clean themselves and take to the
air again unless promptly squished.  I finally had to give up.  The nest
was still active the following week so we had to resort to an aerosol wasp
spray and discard the equipment.

cheers,
Dave Pehling
  | W.S.U. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION-SNOHOMISH CO. |
  | 600 128TH ST. S.E.                         |
  | EVERETT, WA.  98208  U.S.A.                |
  |   PHONE - (425)338-2400                    |
  |   FAX   - (425)338-3994                    |
  |   EMAIL  [log in to unmask]                   |