From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:33:04 -0400
James writes:
> Science, when done properly, is the complete and total LACK of any "belief" in anything not supported by objective metrics

I think you carry it a little too far. Scientists are people and they have a belief system like anyone else. Scientists tend to think their beliefs, based on scientific criteria, are more valid than those of others, whose beliefs are formed in other ways, such as through literature, philosophy, or introspection.

Scientists whose belief systems are strictly "supported by objective metrics" tend to be myopic, obsessive and dull. In the final analysis our lives are stories, in which science plays a part. The quest for objectivity ultimately leads to a cul de sac, since everything we experience is subjective.

But back to the informed discussion: our points of view become broadened by listening to others and by accepting that the whole story may contain many conflicting parts. Like the blind men and the elephant, each of the blind men thinks he knows what the elephant is like and each one is correct in his own way, but none of them gets the whole elephant.

PLB