From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:50:21 -0400
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM, randy oliver  wrote:

> *PEI Pesticide Sales Report*
> compiled by PEI Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry, for 1997, the last year
> for which figures are available.......

Randy, this is the same smoke and mirrors that happens with the California
report.  Pesticide sales do not show the amount of seed treatment because
it is not included in the reporting.  Yes, fungicide amounts would far
exceed insecticide amounts.  But all the insecticide amounts listed would
be small compared with neonicotinoids, which are here, as in the rest of
the world, now the most used insecticides.

As to Jeremy's comments about apples:  apple acreage on PEI is likely about
200 acres.  Carrots and cole crops and pumpkins and cucumbers and other
vegetables and strawberries and raspberries might be 3 to 4 thousand acres,
certainly not over 5,000 (total of all of them).  Potatoes run about
100,000 acres and soybeans probably more than that.  Corn acreage is
considerable.   And here I do not know of farmers using anything on alfalfa
or clover hay.  There is some fungicide use on some grain, but rarely
insecticide unless there is a specific problem.

Stan