Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:56:15 -0400
Gavin Said,
"I may have a vested interest in the answer, but is breeding really the
problem or maybe simply the answer?  I hold the view that we have had too
little breeding of bees in the UK, and that a tad more would go a long way
to improving bee health."

I disagree Gavin.  Decreasing the gene pool is never a good idea and any
breeding to compound the genes for a specific trait will also increase the
liklihood that undesireable  traits or perhaps genes that are actually
detrimental to the bee will also be compounded.  I apologize, the magazine
is Discover not Discovery.   Other issues such as natural feed vs corn syrup
feed and the stress of single source feeds such as is found in commercial
pollinators  and transport stress is discussed as well.  I don't think it is
a single issue but it looks like much has combined to form the perfect storm
and that storm is killing our bees.

Coleene