From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:03:40 EDT
On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 06:01:59 +0000 Rick Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I just only recently signed on to BEE-l, and saw some of the discussion
>regarding these feeders, but can someone tell me exact instructions on
>how to prepare (the plastic bags, not the syrup) and use them?

   They are "low-tech" but they work great.  They are just sealable
("Ziplock" type) plastic bags in the one gallon size, filled no more than
3/4 full with your sugar syrup, and laid on the top bars or inner cover.
(Don't cover the hole in the cover with the bag of syrup.)

   After you have it in place, first note that the top of the bag is
flat, not slanted from a tilted hive or rounded up from overfilling.
Then make two or three slits in the flat upper side of the bag, not
around the curve down the side!  If it was laid flat, it will just lay
there and not leak (much.)  I dabbed it a bit to get it to leak a little
bit for the bees to find, and the rest is history.  Like Ted said, they
emptied it in a few days, and licked out the bags!  They line the slits
like pigs at the trough!  Put a hive body or super around it and the
outer cover on top.

Cautions:
1.  Fill them outside so your kitchen floor doesn't get so sitcky...
2.  Do NOT overfill the bags or they will immediately leak down to the
proper level...
3.  Putting them on the inner cover allows, (but doesn't facilitate
much,) movement of the bag before it's emptied.  Plan on leaving them on
til empty, shich shouldn't be long.
4.  Use a sharp razor to make the slits.  Saves jerking the bag around
with a dull knife...

Have fun!
Gerry and the other Visels at