From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:58:54 -0700
Allen Dick wrote in response to the first quote:
First quote > Do not fog the mineral oil, the method may work well but
it could cost
> > you your life.... Fogged/atomized mineral oil applied in a cylinder
> > (hive box) will in the right mixture with air be explosive, combine this
> > with the ever present ignition devise (smoker) and you have the
> > ingredients for a disaster.
Dick wrote
> Hmmm.
>
> I understand that formic acid is also explosive in the correct mixture and
> so is cyanide (used for many years as a method of killing hives), yet I've
> never heard of any explosions...

Nor have I from formic acid or cyanide. But I have from fogged liquid,
and they do not even have to be confined. In the US Navy I experimented
with them and they eventually were used in Vietnam with great effect as
a dispersed gas which was then ignited. Even flour, when in a dust in
air, has caused disasterous explosions. The advice was well meant and
right on. To discount it was not.
As an aside. Why is it when someone questions anything about mineral oil
are they leapt on by some people on this list? If the stuff works, it
will stand up under any questioning and the questioner does not need to
be belittled for asking. To quote Elwin P. Dowd (close enough- Jimmy
Stewart in Harvy) " In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so
pleasant. I prefer pleasant." (Also close enough. You get the idea.)
Or in the words of that immortal (or is it immoral) bard, Rodney King,
"Can't we all get along?"
Peace, and may your bed be free of cracker crumbs.
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME