From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2015 05:46:20 -0700
I said, ">> You can never make two metabolites
>> from one IMI that both retain the binding
>> site and block two nerves.  "

This does mean two molecules of IMI can undergo different metabolic pathways.  IMI number one could go down one pathway that happens to lead to a metabolite that can bind to a synapse.  And IMI number two can go down another pathway that leads to a different metabolite that can bind to a synapse.  Perhaps in one metabolite you chopped off a methyl group and in the other you added a hydroxy group.  You can start with two molecules of IMI each of which potentially can bind to one synapse.  If both degrade to different metabolites which can also bind to a synapse you are still only binding a total of two synapses.

Toxicity is a function of a great many factors.  Things like:
1. How is the molecule distributed between water and lipids and does it have enough solubility in both to allow effective transport.
2. Overall size and molecular weights which govern diffusion behavior.
3. Is the molecule bound loosely to something that can help transport it to some site where it can exert its toxicity.
4. The molecules binding coefficient to the site where it exerts its toxicity.
5. The rate the critter detoxes the molecule or detoxes toxic metabolites.
6. The rate the active material or active metabolites are excreted.
ETC

You can even have cases where the parent compound is for practical purposes non toxic yet it metabolizes to highly toxic compounds.  This is more frequent for drugs than it is for pesticides.

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken