Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:20:25 -0400
I sent a copy of Bill Lord's mail to a Nigerian friend (now living in
the UK but via 'Bees Abroad' looking after about 100 top bar hives in
West Africa).  This is her response:

"Couldn't agree with Mr Lord more! African bees and I mean pure african
eco types (apis mellifera adansonii etc) are in my experience very
manageable with careful handling and expertise, as with all bees!

Sadly, they get a bad press locally. Usually due to small boys
tormenting swarms and getting more than they bargained for in return.
Also, some inherent traits can make them more of a handful to deal with
in some suituations. For example, their smaller size, which means they
have to have quick reactions and go at a perceived threat in larger
numbers and be very persistent.....All good evolutionary survival
traits! But you try telling that to the parents or village of a small
child that has just been badly stung!"

Chris