From:
Anna Farneski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:53:11 -0400
Good evening,

We keep about 40 hives in Central New Jersey, and I would love the group's input on a recent observation I have made regarding a watering spot we set up for two spring nucs that have filled out to doubles.

I set up a shallow birdbath with stones and "baited" it with a few drops of bleach early in the summer. Within a few days it had a steady stream of visitors. It is located 20 feet from the hives on the edge of our patio, next to a big bed of zinnias. It was such a success, and such fun and to watch, we added a second. Same method, three feet away. They rejected it completely.

But, in the past couple weeks, they stopped using the initial birdbath.  We are on a goldenrod flow and the temps have dipped to mid-forties at night lately. Why the sudden change? I know there must be a reason. They are flying like mad and both ready for winter. Could condensation be forming inside at night?

Thank you for your consideration.

Anna Farneski
Neshanic Station Apiaries

Sent from my iPad