From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:29:36 -0400
Layne wonders about the meaning of a large cluster of bees outside his hive
on hot, humid evenings and nights.
Layne, I don t think there is any one  meaning  to be attached to this.
Yes, your bees could be ready to swarm.  But it ain t necessarily so.  You
can check by tipping the top hive body forward, and looking to see if there
are swarm cells hanging from the bottom of the frames.  If there are swarm
cells, you won t be able to see all of them this way, but you should see
some if any are present.
As far as the bees are concerned, there is not enough room for them inside
the hive.  They are trying to keep air currents going to evaporate the
nectar, and are saying that the bees need to be outside for those air
currents to work.  Do you have a top entrance for the hot moist air to
escape?  If not, and you don t want to drill a 1  hole, prop up the top
cover on one end with some twigs or stones.
Here in Northern New York State we are several weeks away from your
temperatures, but every summer I have some hives that do this.  Immediately
adjacent hives will not do so, and both will raise an equal amount of honey.
You should check for swarm cells.  If they are not there, I wouldn t worry
about it.
Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.