From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:04:09 -0400
Aaron,

Here's my two cents on treatment.  I will have all my bees treated by Sept
15th, no later.  Many in my area (San Joaquin Valley, Calif) have it done by
Sept 1st.  I am just too busy to make it that soon.  It seems as if the
pressure from Vmites has lessened due (I think) to more treatments being done
on a timely basis.  2 or 3 years ago (I think I've blocked it out because of
sticker shock) I finished by Oct. 5, had a great summer honey crop, bomber
hives, minimal pesticide damage, and picked up 900-1000 deadouts by Dec 1st.
 I monitor the mite level by taking 200 bee samples from the broodnest and
shaking them in alcohol and straining them.  I usually start seeing a climb
in the middle of Aug.  During the summer I probably average 1-2 vmites/100.
 My area is different like everyone else but I think life cycles are life
cycles and mites will establish a pattern that is easily monitored.  What I
wish we had available to us is more concise data on economic injury levels
based on sampling techniques.  If anyone has something on that I'd like to
read it.  Another thing that has alot to do with mite populations (my
opinion) is migration. I move an average of 6-7times in a year for
pollination purposes and have found that the mites flucuate with the moves
just as the bees do.  I agree with Allen, to base treatments on actual
populations not calendars (yet they will follow the calendar + or - a few
weeks) and regional treatments are more beneficial.  I'm less of a boxkeeper
and more of a beekeeper since more of us here have quit gambling on "to treat
or not to treat".  I don't know what you pay for strips but it's still cheap
insurance.  Good Luck!

Brian Tassey
Alta Apiaries
Kaykin@ aol.com