From:
Robin Dartington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 19:26:37 +0000

> So, at 2 hives per acre, that's 1.56 million colonies.  The almond growers
> can continue to expand, and continue to keep throwing money at the problem
> of pollination, as their profits so large.

As an engineer, I was trained to consider whole systems. Maintaining a system sustainably depends on keeping all parts of the system in balance- or an over stressed part can collapse and bring down the whole system.

The size of US migratory  beekeeping is apparently driven by almonds pollination as the big earner. Can I ask of almond pollination fees are enough on their own to support keeping a colony? If not, can the income deriving from other uses during the year also increase in line with the needs to increase colonies for the increasing acreage of almonds?   I.e. is the acreage of all other forage increasing proportionately? Or are we witnessing the current system for migratory beekeeping being driven to unsustainanbility  by pressure for profits in the related but external activity of almond growing?

If so, will pollination fees rise to the level needed for colonies to be kept only for almonds?  And in that case will large holding yards be developed close to almonds, with bees being fed sugar through the year?

How do experienced beekeepers see the future?

Robin